Burbank Vet Calls INC is a mobile vet clinic owned and operated by Dr. Smith. Our mobile clinic treats a variety of animals from small pets to large livestock and even exotic animals. Our emergency vet services the following four cities and their surrounding areas: Arroyo Grande, CA, Nipomo, CA, San Luis Obispo, CA, Santa Maria, CA, and Santa Monica, CA.
Reasons Why Fleas and Ticks Are Harmful to Pets
Flea bites can cause the following issues in pets:
- Lasting hair loss and other skin conditions due to repetitive scratching
- Blood Infections
- Allergic reactions to flea’s saliva
Flea bites can spread the following diseases:
- Lyme disease
- Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever
These are a short selection of potentially transmissible ailments and diseases from flea and tick bites. If you would like to find out more information about each of these and more, contact our veterinarian.
How to Prevent Your Pet from Having Fleas and Ticks
Take these precautions to prevent fleas and ticks on your pet:
- Use veterinarian-approved shampoo, medicated collars, gels, pill treatments.
- Frequently check your pet’s fur and be aware of any hair loss.
- If you see a tick remove it immediately. Ensure the head isn’t embedded in the skin after retrieval.
- If you let your pet go outside, keep your grass or tree branches as short as possible. Consider treating your yard.
If you have more than one pet in your household it is recommended that you treat them all at once. When you are trying to prevent your pet from getting fleas and ticks you must keep your household clean. The environment should be treated as intensely as your pet.
Ticks carry more harmful diseases than fleas that can be passed down to humans. You should check for ticks in warm places of their body such as toes, outside and inside their ears, and under their tail and legs. Removing a tick can be extremely difficult as it needs to be removed from its head. If you are unable to remove one or more ticks, please reach out to our emergency veterinarian for help.
Schedule an Appointment with Our Mobile Vet for Flea and Tick Prevention
If you are looking for flea and tick prevention in Santa Maria, CA, Arroyo Grande, CA, San Luis Obispo, CA, or Nipomo, CA, contact VetCalls today. Call us at (805) 623-6990 for more information or to schedule an appointment with our emergency vet.